University of Kansas - Allen Fieldhouse This panorama of the University of Kansas’ Allen Fieldhouse, photographed by James Blakeway, features the Kansas basketball team versus in-state rival K-State. Named in honor of the late Dr. F.C. “Phog” Allen, the Jayhawks’ head coach for 39 years, Allen Fieldhouse is considered one of the most storied college basketball arenas in America. Allen Fieldhouse was dedicated in 1955 and has a seating capacity of 16,300. The court is named after James Naismith, the inventor of basketball and the first basketball coach of the University of Kansas. Naismith coached "Phog" Allen, his eventual successor at Kansas and the namesake of Allen Fieldhouse.